Monday, November 22, 2004

Chicago Part 1 of 4 The Organic Van

So I went to Chicago for my Methods of Teaching Modern Languages Class, we left on a Thursday and came back Sunday. Each day was jam packed with activities and such, SO... I will be doing a 4 part series on my trip to Chicago, 1 blog for each day. Here is Day 1, Thursday Nov. 18th
Thursday:
So the day started off like every other Thursday with me going to Pedagogy class. Though it was a bit more interesting because I had my big-ass bag, that BSU gave us for living in the dorms this year, full of everything that I might need for a weekend in Chicago. It was a little heavy, because I overpacked.
Had class, it took too long, of course because I was anxious to get on the trip to Chicago. We were supposed to meet behind Ed Arts at noon, well the teacher showed up at 12:15, ok, no big deal. Then we had to wait while one of the girls went to go cash a check, so she could have money, remember this it will come into play later on in the trip. Her name is Bridgette.
I guess I should introduce everyone on the Trip so you can know who I'm talking about.
Me: Carrie
Jennie: The girl I've worked with since Freshman year
Lindsey: The Elementary Ed Major, the only non-Spanish person in the class
Raquel: Girl in all my classes, from the Dominican Republic originally
Bridgette: The most annoying girl in the planet, we called her the parrot, because she repeated everything we said and tried to make it sound like it was hers, or that everything she said was original and funny/interesting, it wasn't
April: Our teacher
Miriam: Another Spanish Teacher
Liu: A Chinese teacher
So we're waiting for Bridgette to get back from cashing her check, so we go to pick-up Miriam from her apartment. Then we get back to pick up Bridgette, she's standing on the street waiting for us, we drive past, park and she still doesn't see us, you're thinking, well what's weird about that? Well because we were in a 12 passenger white van! You could hide a small country behind this thing.
Well we finally get moving, then we have to stop so we can fill up water bottles, no problem, but we stopped at the Natural Food store where April had to talk to everyone she met, we were there for almost a half-hour. So it's 12:40 or so, and we finally get moving.
We stopped in Grand Rapids for lunch. April let us/me drive the big-ass van, so we went to find a KFC. We finally did after about 10 minutes of being lost in Grand Rapids, we ate then returned to where we were to meet April. Then we finally got going on our trip. It was 2:30 when we left Grand Rapids. This is about how the trip back went, same fashion, but I'll explain that in part 4.
So we drove, and drove, and drove to Madison.
During the trip we had dubbed our vehicle the "Organic Van" because April only eats organic food. So we made a sign that was going to say "You are following" then another that said "The Organic Van" But when we put up the "You are following" we thought it so funny that we decided not to put up the "Organic Van" sign.
We asked April what the name of our hotel was in Madison, she told us the "Microtel" we were all kind of worried because we were only paying 40 per room, so we didn't know what to expect, but it is a chain, and it was actually a pretty nice place, in the fashion of AmericInn or like, sorry I read Bridgett Jones' Diary on the trip so I'm kind of writing like her.
We were all hungry so we decided to find a place to eat, the only place open was a T.G.I.Friday's, but that was ok it was DELICIOUS!
Then we all went back to our hotel and slept almost 3 hours! Because we were to leave at 5:30 to get to Chicago early. But that's for the next chapter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home